IPUtils is a popular Linux Open-Source package which includes various utilities for Linux networking such as ping, arping, ping6 and so on.
Refer my Google Drive export diagram of the IPUtils :: Ping command implementation architecture:
- green box represents function pointer set
- yellow boxes are the important APIs/functions
- gray boxes are the standard external APIs (such as system calls and glibc library)
- pink/purple box(es) are the additional helper APIs (which are not as critical as those yellow ones)
* please note that I am not expanding deliberately ping6_run() and ping6_function_set since it is quite obvious that it has the same identical architecture as that of IPv4 implementation (i.e: ping4_run() and ping4_func_set).